The Guild began the new decade with a membership of 5,800 in 73 chapters, representing 11 states and the District of Columbia. Members of the Valparaiso chapter hosted conventions every fall, and residents of Memorial Hall cheerfully and graciously relinquished their rooms to the convention guests.
The 20th anniversary of the Guild saw the organization's contributions total more than $348,000. For the coming years, the Guild resolved that their next project would be the “physical rehabilitation of the campus as it affects the comfort and the well-being of the student body.”
For many years, the president of the Guild had been privileged to attend the meetings of the Lutheran University Association Board, but in 1951, the LUA board resolved that the president of the Guild was now a voting member of the LUA Board of Directors. That year, the Guild gifted two ping-pong tables to the Guild Hall recreation hall, while the Toledo Chapter presented an RCA radio phonograph in blonde wood, together with musical albums.
The 1951 convention heard an address from Haruko Morishita, a student at the University and a native of Tokyo, Japan. She painted a vivid picture of life in Japan before and during World War II. During the evening of September 29, 1951, convention guests viewed the film Venture of Faith (also known as The Valparaiso Story), which had been produced by the Lutheran Layman’s League. Also present at the screening was Mr. T. G. Eggers, who wrote the story for the film. Among the familiar Valpo sights included in the film were President O. P. Kretzmann himself and veterans of World War II constructing the engineering building.
In time for the 24th Convention of the Guild, their 1952–1955 project was completed: the women of the Guild had raised the money to completely furnish two new dormitories for men, Kreinheder and Dau, which were completed in 1955. The following year, for the Guild’s 25th anniversary, local chapters hosted Silver Anniversary Teas, with almost 100 percent participation. Each chapter received a special recording from the University, which included an address from President Kretzmann on the “Past, Present, and Future of the Valparaiso University Guild.”
At the June 1956 commencement, a former national president of the Guild, Mrs. W. N. Hoppe, became the first woman in history to receive the Lumen Christi medal, the highest honor that Valparaiso University can bestow on an individual.
In 1957, the convention was held in July as a direct result of a fire that destroyed the old University Auditorium. The decorations for the convention in the Great Hall of the Union consisted of a profusion of butterflies and flowers. Mrs. Norman Hannewald directed the Valparaiso Guild Chorus singing “This is Your Life.” Valparaiso University student Gloria Ruprecht of St. Petersburg, Fla., attended the convention as the newly crowned Miss Indiana!
At the 1958 convention, the Gloria Christi Chapel was named to symbolize the work the Guild has done, to the Glory of God and out of love for Christ. In the following year, September 27, 1959, is a memorable day, as the Guild attended the dedication of the Guild Chapel!